1806 – the confectioner Lorenz Caviezel lays the foundation for the Estonian confectionery industry by opening his confectionery store on Pikk Street, Tallinn, where Maiasmokk Café is now situated. This will become the oldest precursor of today’s Kalev.
1864 – the confectionery store changed hands many times, until Georg Stude Snr. buys it in 1864 and greatly expands it. Marzipan figurines and hand-made chocolate confectionery were the most sought-after items in Stude’s store. The Russian Imperial Court was among those clients who ordered sweets from Stude’s company on a regular basis. Unique marzipan figurines are made at Maiasmokk Café to this day, using historical marzipan moulds and methods.
1921 – the foundation of the chocolate and confectionery factory Kawe, AS Kalev’s best-known precursor. The product range of Kawe, the largest confectionery company in Estonia at the time, was well-known locally and abroad. The company exported a considerable amount of its products to various countries, including the US, UK, Tunisia, Morocco, France, India, China, and elsewhere. Other large confectionery companies of the time included Ginovker (est. 1906), Brandmann (1901) and Klausson (1920). In the late 1930s, more than 75% of all of employees in the Estonian confectionery industry worked in these companies and Kawe. Several smaller companies such as Riola, Endla, Eelis, Efekt and others provided competition to the large manufacturers.
1940 – the start of the nationalisation and merging of confectionery companies. Brandmann’s company was merged with the Riolafactory, and the new name of the company becamethe Karamellconfectioneryfactory. Later, the department of marzipan and chocolate confectionery of Georg Stude’s company joined Karamell. At this time, cakes and pastries were still made in the building on Pikk Street, which is still known as Maiasmokk Café. The Efekt, Eelis, Endla and Soliid factories were soon merged with Kawe, as was the Ermos syrup production facility located in Kloodi Manor near Rakvere. The merged company continued operating under the name of Kawe.
1948 – On 1 April, Kawe was renamed the Kalevconfectionery factory. The name change took place due to ideological reasons: someone complained to the Minister that Kawe’s name had been formed using the initials of its former owners. That was not acceptable for a Soviet company. A naming competition was quickly arranged, which saw two proposals: “Punane Kompu” (“Red Sweet”) which was ideologically acceptable at the time and “Kalev”taken from the Estonian National Epic storyThe name “Kalev” won by a single vote.
1957 – the new confectionery company Uus Kalev is completedat Pärnu maantee 139, Tallinn. A year later, the Karamell factory is merged with it.
1962 – the merger of confectionery companies is in its last stages: Uus Kalev and Kalev are joined,and the company name becomesKalevconfectionery company. Only one confectionery manufacturer exists in Estonia and it is located at Pärnu mnt. 139. Throughout the entire Soviet period, Kalev manufactured sweets for Estonia as well as for almost all of what isnow the former Soviet Union, and it also supplied the “uncrowned rulers” of the Kremlin. Kalev’s confectionery became renowned outside of the Soviet Union, garneringawards and prizes from several international trade fairs and exhibitions.
1991 – the public limited company RAS Kalev is established on the basis of Kalevconfectionery factory.
1995 – RAS Kalev is privatised, and a joint-stock company is formed.
2003 – AS Kalev’s new, modern production facility is completed in Põrguvälja, Rae municipality, Harjumaa; the company leaves Tallinn. At this time, it is the largest new food industry building in Estonia since the restoration of independence.
2006 – Kalev celebrates its 200th anniversary.
13.06. 2006 – AS Kalev establishes a subsidiary, AS Kalev Chocolate Factory, which takes over the production and sales of chocolate and confectionery products from its parent company.
27.05.2010 – AS Kalev Chocolate Factory becomes a member of the international Orkla Group, which is based in Norway.
09.04.2012 – company restores itshistoric business name, AS Kalev
2016 – AS Kalev celebrates its210th anniversary with a special collection of anniversaryproducts and various events.
01.02.2018 – Business name As Kalev is changed into Orkla Eesti AS. Producing chocolate and confectionery continues under Kalev’s trademark.
02.04.2018 – AS Kalev and Põltsamaa Felix AS are now the single legal entity ‒ Orkla Eesti AS.
© 2020 AS Kalev, All Rights Reserved